Applying for a Traditional Grant
The Education Foundation knows the educators at Mansfield ISD are dedicated to giving our students the best education possible. Our teachers and educators have creative ideas to bring learning to life in the classroom and on the campus, but tight school budgets do not always have the resources to fund the 'extras', no matter how awesome they may be.
If you have a innovative way to engage your students and enhance their learning, but lack the funding to implement it, apply for a grant with the Education Foundation. Don't be intimidated by the words 'apply for a grant', just download the Grant Application Template today and you may find that applying for a grant is not as hard as you thought.
Traditional Grants are awarded in the fall during an exciting, one-day Grant Patrol blitz of the district. On this day foundation board members, school district administrators, and volunteers board buses and travel to campuses throughout the district surprising grant winners with a large check, a balloon, and a heart-felt congratulatory cheer.
Fall Grant Timeline
2019 Fall Grant Applications are due September 3, 2019 by 5:00 PM.
2019 Fall Grant Patrol grant give-a-away day is October 10, 2019.
How do I submit a traditional grant?
- Grant applications are submitted online via Google link from your ‘misd.net’ account.
- Use this grant application template as a guide when preparing to write your grant.
- Compose your grant in word.
- When you are ready to submit your application, cut and paste it from your word document into the google form.
- Have your principal’s signature (and any other approvals you may need) before you submit your application.
- Data will not be saved if you exit the grant submission process before completing and submitting the application.
What approvals do I need before I submit my grant application?
Principal: Applications must be approved and signed by your principal before submitting.
Technology: Grants with any technology must be approved by MISD Technology Department prior to submitting. You may contact Gail Marlin at 817-299-4393 or GailMarlin@misdmail.org.
Special Education: Any Special Education based grants must be approved by SPED. Call 817-299-4300.
ESL: Any ESL based grants must be approved by the ESL Department. Call 817-299-4381.
Digging or planting: Grants that requires digging or planting on the grounds of any school or MISD facility must have prior approval of the MISD Maintenance Department. Call 817-299-4340.
10 Grant writing tips….
- Don't be intimidated. Simply explain the need then how and why this grant will fill it.
- Be creative and think out of the box with your grants! Grant evaluators spend hours and hours reading grants, so make yours unique.
- Think sustainability! Will this grant be utilized for years? If not, you may want to rethink it.
- Write grants for smaller amounts. They are more likely to be funded.
- Don’t try to use a lot of big words; keep it simple.
- Not all grant readers/ evaluators will have a strong background in education so avoid using education terminology with out first explaining what it is (examples: PBL, ARD, ESL, SPED, GT...).
- Talk to teachers that have received grants. Most are more than willing to help you with ideas and concepts.
- The Foundation, as a rule, does not buy textbooks or food.
- Show your passion for bringing learning to life!
- Stop thinking about it and just do it! We want to hear your ideas!
Congratulations, you got a grant! Now what?
- Let the world know about your grant and how it is making an impact on your students! Post on social media and tag the Education Foundation. Twitter: @foundationMISD Facebook: @MansfieldISDEducationFoundation.
- Email the Education Foundation with photos and tell us about your ‘grant in action’. We may highlight your grant as one of our success stories.
- Grants awarded in the fall must be implemented and active the following spring semester.
- If you do not spend all of your money, it will be returned to the Education Foundation and used for the next round of grants.
- For questions with budget codes or purchase orders call the Education Foundation secretary at 817-299-6355.
- Evaluations must be sent to the foundation after implementation of each grant. You will not be eligible to receive another grant until we get feedback from you.